11 November 2010

Just.like.mom.never.made

Lately I have been re-examining my lifestyle. At work we started a "GiT FiT Challenge." Not to be mistaken for a "Biggest Loser"-like competition. Myself and 4 co-workers are trying to encourage each other to be more active. There is more to life then beer! -- or sugar in my case.

Throughout my 24 years of life I have been a pretty die hard athlete. Gymnast from birth until age 12, 12-20 was devoted to diving. I took diving really seriously, so seriously that at 3 different times while being a 5A district diving power house I was also taking gymnastics classes in school or after school. I was also a freshman cheerleader in high school. All of this...while diving. My coach loved me. (not.) So needless to say, I am used to working out. I like it, it's a good therapy and I always sleep better when I'm active.

While trying to get fit and look smashing everyday in sunny Florida, I decided to run a Half-Marathon (which from hence forth I will refer to as halfy). This is exciting to me. My last year of undergrad I was plagued with a bum knee. But, I was determined and worked out my knee and it is holding together nicely thus far. While preparing and bustin' my butt I have been scanning friends blogs and noticed one on a camp friend's FB. My friend had been working with a CrossFit team in Austin and the coaches from this CrossFit started a blog. About food. The hardest thing for me is to eat and work out. The blog titled- Just.like.mom.never.made is about eating Paleo (or Paleolithic). Paleo diet consists mainly of meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, roots, and nuts; and excludes grains, legumes, dairy products, salt, refined sugar, and processed oils. A very interesting concept. I have read many testimonials about individuals (women mostly) who slowly switched their diet and now have more energy, are sustained for longer periods of time, can work harder and longer in work outs and have staved off disease. This is very exciting to me. I want to have a long healthy life with a healthy family. While I have not decided to go Paleo, I am thinking about incorporating many of their recipes into our dinner menu. I encourage you to check it out. If you are tired of eating processed junk, check it out. Quality over quantity and truly- You don't want to be a statistic.


Check it out! http://justlikemomnevermade.blogspot.com/
and check out your local CrossFit group, who doesn't what to look like these women?!

No comments:

Post a Comment